65,000 square feet
Number of Offices
Number of Work Areas
Reception, lounge areas, meeting rooms, boardroom, filing storage
Harkel Design Partner
Harkel was aided by the professional design and creative expertise of Brent Kingdon from TAC Facilities Group Inc. to achieve an aesthetically beautiful, well functioning and under budget solution.
Inscape, Cape, Egan Visual, Lincora, AllSeating, Hauser
BD–Canada, a leading global medical technology company, was moving from a space with 27’ high ceilings with a very large and open feeling to a more conventional office space with a 9’ high t-bar ceiling. Furnishings needed to provide an “airy” open feeling but also a comparable amount of storage.
As a LEED project, it also had unique aesthetic and environmental challenges that needed to be addressed.
- Allow natural light to open office workstations and private offices
- Provide efficient layouts to maximize work surface space and storage, and providing continuity to the previous furniture standards
- Provide an ergonomic solution to optimize employee comfort, safety and health
- Meet or exceed the LEED Silver standards
- Provide for a cost effective, within budget, solution.
- Large workstations introducing lower panel heights, using both up-mounted and panel framed glazing to create an open and spacious feeling
- Stations clustered to optimize the floor plate and promote collaboration
- Private Offices strategically placed to allow natural light to general open office
- Glass panels reduced sound transfer across opposite stations but still provided optimum visibility and light flow
- Fabrics and finishes were selected to provide a warm and comfortable overall feel
- Under surface open book storage as well as personal storage towers and lateral files within the stations
- High quality task chairs, keyboard arms, task lights and monitor arms to conform with the client’s ergonomic standards
- All LEED Silver standards were met by the use of FSC wood products, renewable and recycled materials and all other methods
- Extremely low employee attrition, and high employee morale
- Workspace is a showpiece for clients, visitors and employee recruitment
- Project completed on time, on budget and within the LEED targets.